Revised November, 2013
1. The applicant must be of African-American heritage.
2. The applicant must be a resident of Pierce County, Washington.
3. The applicant must be enrolled in the School of Nursing.
4. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale is required, verified by an unofficial transcript.
5. The Application:
Submit the completed application form on the Ebony Nurses website.
Submit an unofficial transcript. Those applying for an advanced nursing program, please submit a transcript or evidence of successful progression in the program.
Submit two letters of recommendation. One reference must be from your present program.
Submit a 2 to 3 page, typed, double-spaced essay on “Why I Want To Be A Nurse” and how the scholarship will assist you in meeting your goals. Those applying for an advanced degree, please submit your goals for the advanced degree.
All applications and supporting documents must be submitted by Dec 31.
Partial applications will not be considered
6. A personal interview with the Scholarship Committee will be scheduled.
7. The applicant will be expected to attend a meeting of the Ebony Nurses Association of Tacoma
to receive their award.
8. The recipient is expected to stay in contact with the Ebony Nurses Association of Tacoma and is encouraged to attend meetings of the organization after graduation from school.
9. The scholarship will be awarded to applicants for an LPN program for payment in the last
phase of the program. For applicants in an RN program, the scholarship will be awarded in
the final year of an ADN program and second term of junior year or later in the BSN program
Applicants in an advanced nursing will be awarded in the last phase of the program.
10. The recipient will provide a written progress report to the Ebony Nurses Association of
Tacoma at the end of each term. A progress report form will be sent to the recipient.
11. A scholarship recipient may receive an award more than once. Recipients must reapply and meet all
criteria at the time of the re-application.
Scholarship Committee Members:
Marchelle Celestine – President; Gwen Haynes -Vice-President
Lynda Ash-Financial Secretary, Adriene Tillman – Treasurer
Idella Whitfield-Stith – Scholarship Chairperson